Coleman Fellow Activity Report – Dr. Lynn M. Forsythe, J.D.
January 31, 2011
Summary of activities and results:
- I received a Coleman Fellowship at California State University Fresno for the 2005-2006 academic year to develop a 3-unit course entitled Law for Entrepreneurs.
- I developed a Law for Entrepreneurs course which builds on the foundation of BA 18, Business and the Legal Environment, which is part of the pre-business core. Students who do not have the prerequisite may register with the permission of the instructor. I frequently grant that permission.
- The course attracts a mix of students who are entrepreneurship majors or who want to start a business.
- This course was taught as a topics course during the spring semesters in 2006 and 2007. It has been taught every spring since 2006. The course went through the course proposal process and is now a regular course at CSUF.
- Law for Entrepreneurs focuses on preventative law. What are the legal pitfalls or risks involved in small business enterprises? How can an entrepreneur best avoid these pitfalls?
- I attended USASBE in 2006, 2008, and 2009.
- I attended CEO (including the Coleman Workshop) in 2009.
- I will attend SEA (including the Coleman Workshops) in 2011.
- I am a coauthor of a recently published entrepreneurship law textbook -- Davidson, D. and Forsythe, L. (2011). The Entrepreneur's Legal Companion, 1e, Upper Saddle River, NJ: part of the Ireland Morris Entrepreneurship Series published by Pearson Prentice Hall.
- I am a coauthor of a recently published business law textbook -- Davidson, D. and Forsythe, L. (2011). Business Law: Principles and Cases in the Legal Environment, 1e, published by Aspen Publishers, Inc., a part of Wolters Kluwer Law & Business.
- I have participated in the following panels at professional conferences:
- “Law and Entrepreneurship” at the Academy of Legal Studies in Business (ALSB) Annual Meeting, Richmond, VA, August 5, 2010.
- “Teaching Entreprenuers What They Need To Know About the Law” at the United States Association for Small Business and Entrepreneurship (USASBE) Annual Meeting, San Antonio, TX, January 12, 2008, and published in the USASBE 2008 Refereed Proceedings.
- “Bringing Entrepreneurship Education to the Far Reaches of Campus: Examples from Fresno State's Mass Communication and Journalism, Business Law, Music, and Food Science and Nutrition Departments” at the United States Association for Small Business and Entrepreneurship (USASBE) Annual Meeting, San Antonio, TX, January 11, 2008, and published in the USASBE 2008 Refereed Proceedings.
- “Teaching Entrepreneurs About Law” at the Academy of Legal Studies in Business (ALSB) Annual Meeting, Indianapolis, IN. August 12, 2007.